Monday 16 January 2012

Health Update: Bikram Yoga

So as part of my uber crazy 2012 Ultimate Health Goal I decided that it might be a good idea to try out Bikram Yoga. I’ve heard heaps about it before and everyone that I know who has done it says it’s amazing.




Bikram Yoga is a style of Yoga that runs for 90 mintues and consists of a series of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercise. Doesn’t seem so bad until the 40.6-degree room that it’s done in is mentioned. I’m not a huge lover of the heat so I knew this would be a challenge.




I started last Thursday at the Bikram Yoga College of India in Darlinghurst with a few girls from work. They have a special for newcomers which is a $17 10 day trial. It’s a pretty amazing price since a casual class is $18. I also really liked the centre because it was chilled out and wasn’t full of crazy skinny/fit intense yoga fanatics.



At first when I walked into the room the heat didn’t seem so bad. That all went to hell once we started. It’s a pretty damn intense yoga session! About 15 minutes in I could feel water running down my back and by the end of the session I was soaking. I gave up trying to wipe my face because 5 minutes later it was back.


That's pretty much what you look like after about 5 mins...

But by god did I feel amazing! I was happy that I was able to finish the entire session. Some of the moves were the same as Ashtanga Ygoa which I’ve done before so I had an idea on my to do them.

After I finished I don’t think I’ve ever felt so amazing. I felt energetic, clean and detoxified. The next day at work everyone said that my skin looked glowing and I looked really fresh.

I loved it so much I went back on Friday as well, and then on Sunday and again tonight!

So if your looking for something to get you fit this year I highly recommend Bikram Yoga! It’s not for the faint hearted but it’s so worth it.


Nat xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment